Why having a term insurance in your 50s is the best bet
While term insurance has been around for a long time, people are now becoming more aware about ensuring financial security for their families in their absence. What this essentially means is that you will go above and beyond to protect them when you are around, but what if they lose you in the wake of an untimely death? In such cases, your policy extends a death benefit to your dependents so that they don’t have to suffer financially, when you are gone.
It’s a good idea to sign up for a policy early on, in your 20s or 30s. But as they say, it’s never too late. The death benefit is paid to the nominee either in the form of a lump sum amount or installments based on their preference.
Reasons to buy term insurance in your 50s
There are several reasons why buying term insurance in your 50s is a good plan:
- Helps fulfil your family’s dreams: As the breadwinner of the family, you are also in charge of planning and preparing for their goals. It could be anything from their education to their marriage, and everything in between. You would not want them to be in a lurch when you aren’t around. That’s why signing up for a term insurance plan is a good idea.
- Protection from debts: You may have taken certain loans or may have credit card bills to pay to build the life of your dreams. In your absence, it can be hard for your family to fulfil these financial commitments. When you sign up for a term insurance plan, you know that these will be covered through the death benefit even if you aren’t physically present.
- Retirement plan: Most term insurance plans do not have a survival benefit but in case there’s any such policy, you can go for it and build a corpus for your life post-retirement. This move will help you gain financial security in the absence of regular income sources.
- Income tax benefit: Apart from financial protection, buying a term insurance plan can help you save tax under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act*.
- Provision of riders: Insurance providers also offer an option to add riders for an added layer of security, including disability, critical illness, or accident cover.
Why is term insurance necessary in your 50s
If you are in your 50s, it is important to have a term insurance policy that protects your family members if they are dependent on you. No one wants their loved ones to suffer financially and compromise on their lifestyle in case of untoward circumstances. While ups and downs aren’t in your control, you can always take conscious steps to be there for your family even when you aren’t physically present.
At the same time, you can also save tax by claiming the premium amount as deduction under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act*.
Things to consider before buying term insurance in your 50s
- It’s never too late to buy a term insurance plan, so don’t hold yourself back
- If you are in good health, you can get a higher coverage at affordable premiums. This rule is applicable even if you are in your 50s.
- Calculate your debts and ensure that these liabilities will be covered, in case you die
- Pick your riders based on what your actual needs
- Check the claim settlement ratio of your insurance provider
- You can use term insurance as a retirement plan, if your insurance provider offers a survival benefit
1. Should I get term insurance in my 50s?
The earlier you sign up for a term insurance plan, the greater the financial protection for your family members.
2. Does buying a term insurance plan help save tax?
You can save tax by claiming the premium amount as deduction under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. *
3. Can you buy riders with a term insurance plan in your 50s?
Yes. You can opt for a critical illness rider, accident cover, or riders that offer a waiver of premium for disability.
- Why You Need to Buy Your Term Insurance Online
- Can NRIs Buy Term Insurance in India?
- 5 Things to Consider while Buying a Term Insurance Policy
Not sure which insurance to buy?
Talk to an
Advisor right away
Advisor right away
We help you to choose best insurance plan based on your needs
Here are a few more articles about Term Insurance.
We help you to make informed insurance decisions for a lifetime.
A term insurance plan for your familys future makes eminent sense while drawing a Rs 25,000 salary
25K Salary Term Insurance Plans : You can put away a small share from your Rs 25,000 salary every month to secure a safe future for your family. Read now!
- Best Investment Plans
- What is Term Insurance
- 1 Crore Term Insurance
- Short term saving plan
- Term insurance
- Saving plans
- ULIP Plan
- Health Plans
- Child Insurance Plans
- Group Insurance Plans
- Long Term Savings Plan
- Fixed Maturity Plan
- Monthly Income Advantage Plan
- Pension Calculator
- BMI Calculator
- Compound Interest Calculator
- Term insurance Calculator
- Tax Savings Investment Options
- 2 crore term insurance
- 50 lakhs term insurance
- annuity plans
- Investment Calculator
- get pension of 30000 per month
- ULIP Returns in 5 Years
- investment plan for 5 years
- investment plan for 10 years
- 50-Lakh Investment Plan
- guaranteed returns plans
- sanchay plans
- Pension plans
*As per Income Tax Act, 1961. Tax benefits are subject to changes in tax laws.
^ Available under Life & Life Plus plan options
##Individual death claim settlement ratio by number of policies as per audited annual statistics for FY 2021-22.
#Provided we have received all the relevant and required documents and no further investigation is required. Claim settlement process would be completed within stipulated timelines once the claim request is approved
ARN - ED/05/23/2250