Filing income tax returns is no longer the hassle it used to be. Gone are the long queues and endless anxiety of making the tax-filing deadline
With online filing,also called e-filing, it is convenient to file returns from the confines of your home/office and at very short notice.
|Sr No.||Step||Guide To File ITR Online|
Log on to the portal
|Log on to the Income Tax Department portal (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) for filing returns online. Register using your Permanent Account Number (PAN), which will serve as the user ID.|
Download appropriate ITR form
|Under 'Download', go to e-filing under the relevant assessment year and select the appropriate Income Tax Return (ITR) form. Download ITR-1's (Sahaj) return preparation software if you are a salaried individual.|
Enter details in Form 16
Open the Return Preparation Software (excel utility) that you have downloaded, follow the instructions and enter all details from your Form 16.
Compute all relevant tax details
Compute tax payable, pay tax and enter relevant challan details in the tax return. If you do not have a tax liability, you can skip this step.
Confirm the above details
|Confirm the details entered by you and generate an XML file, which is automatically saved on your computer.|
Go the ‘Submit Return’ section and upload the XML file.
You can digitally sign the file on being prompted. If you do not have a digital signature, you can skip this step
Confirmation from ITR verification
A message confirming successful e-filing is flashed on your screen. The acknowledgement form – ITR-Verification is generated and the same can be downloaded. It is also emailed to your registered email id.
|Step 9||E-verify Return||You can e-verify the return through any one of the below six modes: 1) Netbanking, 2) Bank ATM, 3) Aadhaar OTP, 4) Bank Account Number, 5) Demat Account Number, 6) Registered Mobile Number & E-mail id. E-verification eliminates the need to send a physical copy of the ITR-5 acknowledgement to CPC, Bengaluru|
How to Download Income Tax Return?
It is important to how to file ITR on time, to avoid last minute stress and penalties. Once you have filed your ITR, the income tax verification form is generated by the IT department so that taxpayers can verify the validity and legitimacy of e-filing. These are applicable only if you have filed your returns without a digital signature.
The income tax return verification form can be downloaded in easy steps.
1.) Log in to the Income Tax India website https://portal.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/UserLogin/LoginHome.html?lang=eng
2.) View e-filed tax returns by clicking on 'View Returns/ Forms' option
Select option Income tax returns
Details of all the years for which returns are filed will be displayed
1.) Click on the acknowledgement numberto download the ITR-V.
2.) Begin the download by selecting 'ITR-V Acknowledgment'
3.) To open the downloaded document, enter your password to open the document. The password is your PAN number in lower letters along with your birthdate.
PAN - ASIJP2345P
Birthdate - 31/12/1980
Password - asijp2345p31121980
- You need to send the printed and signed document to CPC Bangalore within 120 days of the e-filing.There is also an option of E verification of Income tax return by generating aadhar otp, through net banking, through ATM etc.
Documents required to fill ITR
It is important to have all the relevant documents handy before you start your e-filing process.
- Bank and post office savings account passbook, PPF account passbook
- Salary slips
- Aadhar Card, PAN card
- Form-16- TDS certificate issued to you by your employer to provide details of the salary paid to you and TDS deducted on it, if any
Interest certificates from banks and post office
- Form-16A, if TDS is deducted on payments other than salaries such as interest received from fixed deposits, recurring deposits etc. over the specified limits as per the current tax laws
- Form-16B from the buyer if you have sold a property, showing the TDS deducted on the amount paid to you
- Form-16C from your tenant, for providing the details of TDS deducted on the rent received by you, if any
- Form 26AS - your consolidated annual tax statement. It has all the information about the taxes deposited against your PAN
- a) TDS deducted by your employer
- b) TDS deducted by banks
- c) TDS deducted by any other organisations from payments made to you
- d) Advance taxes deposited by you
- e) Self-assessment taxes paid by you
- Tax saving investment proofs
- Proofs to claim deductions under section 80D to 80U (health insurance premium for self and family, interest on education loan)
- Home loan statement from bank
How to check ITR status online?
Once you have filed your income tax returns and verified it, the status of your tax return is 'Verified'. After the processing is complete, the status becomes 'ITR Processed'.
If you wish to know which stage your tax return is after filing it and want to check your ITR status online, here’s how you can do it in easy steps.
Without login credentials
You can click on the ITR status tab on the extreme left of the e-filing website.
You are then directed to a new page where you have to fill in your PAN number, ITR acknowledgement number and the captcha code.
Once this is done, the status of your filing will be displayed on the screen.
With login credentials
Login to the e-filing website.
Click on the option 'View Returns/Forms'
From the dropdown menu, select income tax returns and assessment year
Once this is done, the status of your filing (whether only verified or processed) will be displayed on the screen.
Keeping the Income Tax Department informed about your income and taxability will keep you on the right side of the law and prevent any blocks in your financial competency. Now that you know whether or not you compulsorily have to file your ITR, you need to ensure that you complete the process before the deadline every year.
- Income Tax Slabs for FY 2015 and AY 2016
- How to Save Tax with Insurance
- Best Tax Saving Options
- Tax Structure In India