What is Opportunities Fund
Opportunities funds scout for themes in the debt market. The objective is to maximize gains for investors. Opportunities funds are offered by unit-linked insurance plans / ULIPs, mutual funds and other investment firms.
Fund managers look for opportunities in all corners of the market. In a way, that is what they are expected to do.
The opportunities could be in areas like:
- Large companies also called large caps, due to their huge market capitalization or market caps
- Mid-sized companies or mid caps
- Smaller companies or small caps
On the same lines, the fund manager could scout for opportunities in sectors or industries like:
- power / utilities
- oil and gas
- banking and financial services
How Does an Opportunities Fund Work?
There are investment themes involving many sectors that pose an opportunity. The fund manager targets some of these themes to maximize gains for investors. For instance, he may pick one or more themes like these to maximize the fund's performance:
- economic revival
- rural growth
- new economy
Opportunities are not restricted to equity markets. There are growth areas in debt markets as well that the fund manager can target if his investment mandate calls for him to do so.
Some opportunities in the debt markets include:
- long-term bonds
- short-term bonds
- government securities / gsecs
An opportunities fund looks to maximize growth by investing in areas defined by its investment mandate. The investment guidelines vary across ULIPs / mutual funds and investors are informed of this through product literature / company websites.
Who Is It Ideal For?
For an investor with appetite for risk and long-term goals like saving for child's education, retirement planning or child's marriage, diversified equity funds can prove useful either on a standalone basis or in combination with other investment options.
- Insurance Types
- HDFC Life Opportunities Fund Nav
- Guide To Understand ULIPs Better
- What is Term Insurance?
Related Insurance Definitions:
Subscribe to get the latest articles directly in your inbox
Life & Term Articles
New Union Budget Highlights 2022-2023
February 05, 2022
Term Insurance Tax Benefits Under Section 80C & 80D
November 14, 2023
Term Insurance Guide
August 16, 2022
Here's all you should know about life insurance.
We help you to make informed insurance decisions for a lifetime.
- term insurance plan
- savings plan
- ulip plan
- retirement plans
- health plans
- child insurance plans
- group insurance plans
- long term savings plan
- fixed maturity plan
- monthly income advantage plan
- income tax calculator
- pension calculator
- bmi calculator
- compound interest calculator
- term insurance calculator
- income tax
- tax saving investment options
- best investment plans
- benefits of term insurance calculator
- what is term insurance
- why to invest in life insurance
- tax planning for salaried employees
- how to choose best child insurance plan
- tips for buying retirement plan
- 1 crore term insurance
- importance of saving
- short term saving plans
- types of investment in india
- investment declaration
- Life Insurance
- Union Budget 2023
- New Income Tax Slab 2023-24
- HRA Calculator
- Term Insurance