Challan 280: How to Pay Your Income Tax Online with ITNS 280
We all know by now that paying our tax on time is crucial for the betterment of the country. That being said, the way we pay our income tax has radically changed over the past decade. With the quick growth of technology in the country, everything from ordering a pizza to finding a life partner and even buying groceries has become incredibly easy and convenient. Today, the internet has even revolutionised the way we pay our taxes. In fact, with a single online account, we can do everything from file our tax returns to check the notices sent to us and even pay pending dues.
But, before we talk about how to pay your tax online, let’s have a look at what Challan 280 is and how we can use it to pay our taxes.
What is Challan 280?
Challan 280 is a form that can be used by an individual to make an income tax payment of self-assessment tax, tax on distributed income and profit, regular assessment tax, advance tax, and surtax. The form is also referred to as ‘ITNS 280’.
You will need to use challan 280 to pay your taxes regardless of whether you’re making the payment online or offline. If you’ve chosen the offline route, you will need to take the form to a designated bank branch and then make the payment. On the other hand, if you’ve opted to make the payment online, you can visit the TIN NSDL website to complete the transaction.
How to Pay Your Income Tax Online with Challan 280?
- Visit the TIN NSDL website.
- Under ‘Services’ select the ‘e-payment: Pay Taxes Online’ option.
- Click on ‘INCOME TAX & CORPORATION TAX (CHALLAN 280)’ option.
- A form will be displayed on the page. You must fill this up within 30 minutes.
- Click on ‘(0021) Income Tax (Other than Companies)’.
- Choose your preferred ‘Type of Payment’ option amongst six options provided including (300) Self Assessment Tax.
- Choose you “mode of payment”. You have the option to make the payment via debit card or internet banking of the designated bank.
- Enter your PAN and the assessment year. For the financial year 2019-2020, the assessment year will be 2020-2021.
- Enter your personal details such as your residential address, mobile number and your registered email ID.
- Type in the CAPTCHA code and then click the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Double-check and verify all the tax payment details on display.
- Ensure that the spelling of your name displayed on the screen matches the spelling of your name on your PAN.
- Give your consent to the NSDL e-Gov by checking the ‘I agree’ box under the declaration ‘Consent is provided to NSDL e-Gov’.
- Click on the ‘Submit to the Bank’ button.
- Log in to your net banking account.
- Enter details such as the interest amount (if applicable), tax amount, and make the payment. After the transaction is executed successfully, your ‘tax challan receipt’ will be displayed. This receipt is your proof of payment.
This is how you make your income tax online payment using challan 280. Don’t forget to save the payment receipt or take a screenshot of it for future reference. You should also make sure that you double-check each and every detail that you enter online.
After paying your tax, you will need to enter the tax challan receipt details such as BSR Code, Date of Deposit, Serial no. of challan, and Amount paid while filling in your income tax return (ITR). Only after payment of taxes using challan 280 and entering the correct tax challan receipt details can you file your income tax return.
As can be observed from the above, the process of making your income tax online payment using challan 280 is quite simple and convenient. Now that you know what is challan 280, you can go ahead and pay your income tax online without any hesitation.
Income Tax Slab 2021-22
February 17, 2020
Income Tax Return Guide - Details You Should Know
November 07, 2016
Best Tax Saving Investment Options in 2022 (FY 2022-2023)
November 08, 2016
Subscribe to get the latest articles directly in your inbox
14 Best Investment Options In India
October 30, 2018
Short Term Investments: Top 11 Short Term Investment Options For 2022
November 08, 2016
Insurance vs Investment - Did You Get the Right Financial Plan?
November 05, 2018
Popular & Recent Articles
How to Plan for Retirement as Per your Age
"The thumb rule for retirement planning is - the earlier you start, the more you save. However, with age, your priorities change too. So, you need to factor in the cost of living in the present vis- a -vis future."
HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited. CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101.
Registered Office: Lodha Excelus, 13th Floor, Apollo Mills Compound, N.M. Joshi Marg, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai 400 011. Email: [email protected], Tel No: 1800-266-9777 (10 am to 7 pm). The name/letters “HDFC” in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited (“HDFC Limited”) and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited.
For more details on risk factors, associated terms and conditions and exclusions please read sales brochure carefully before concluding a sale.
|BEWARE OF SPURIOUS PHONE CALLS AND FICTIOUS/FRAUDULENT OFFERS
- term insurance plan
- savings plan
- ulip plan
- retirement plans
- health plans
- child insurance plans
- group insurance plans
- long term savings plan
- fixed maturity plan
- monthly income advantage plan
- income tax calculator
- pension calculator
- bmi calculator
- compound interest calculator
- term insurance calculator
- income tax
- tax saving investment options
- best investment plans
- benefits of term insurance calculator
- what is term insurance
- why to invest in life insurance
- tax planning for salaried employees
- how to choose best child insurance plan
- tips for buying retirement plan
- 1 crore term insurance
- importance of saving
- short term saving plans
- types of investment in india
- investment declaration