Can NRIs Buy Term Insurance in India?
Life offers no guarantees. We never know what lurks around the next corner, and we must prepare ourselves, our families and our finances for every eventuality. A term insurance plan provides life coverage, offering your family financial stability and security when they need it the most. Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) who still have family in India may want to protect them with a term plan. Let’s find out how they can purchase the best term plan for their requirements.
Can NRIs Buy Term Insurance in India?
Yes, NRIs have the option to purchase a term plan in India even when they maintain residency abroad. They can opt to get a policy while they’re in India or purchase their plan while they’re abroad.
Purchasing a Term Plan in India
Buying a term plan in India is quick, easy and convenient. The individual must find a policy and insurance company they like and request to purchase a plan. While filling out the application, they must mention that they hold residency abroad and disclose the country where they stay. Once the paperwork is complete and the NRI makes the payment, they receive the term plan and its coverage. Some insurers may not offer policies for residents of certain countries, so NRIs must do their research before selecting a company. Insurance companies may charge higher premiums for NRIs living in politically unstable countries.
Purchasing a Term Plan from the Country of Residence
NRIs can also purchase a term plan from their country of residence via Mail Order Business. NRIs must get verified by a notary and officials at the Indian Embassy in their country of residence to complete the purchase. Indian students who are studying abroad can also purchase a term plan. They can request their college supervisor or dean to help with the verification process.
Term Plan Details for NRIs
NRIs can choose a sum assured between INR 2 lakhs and INR 1 crore, depending on their needs.
The premium depends on the individual’s health, age, medical history, lifestyle, and sum assured.
Term plans for NRIs come with variable terms. Individuals can purchase a policy for just five years or up to 30 years.
NRIs between the ages of 18 and 65 can purchase a term plan.
Insurance companies accept internet banking payments, foreign remittances and debits from an NRO, NRE or FCNR account. NRIs can choose their premium payment schedule. They can opt to make monthly, quarterly, biannual or annual payments.
Documentation Required for a Term Plan for NRIs
When purchasing a term plan, NRIs must provide:
- An attested passport copy
- The application form
- Age proof
- Documents specifying health conditions, if any
- Payment receipt for the first premium amount
- Income proof
Income Proof Documents
The acceptable income proof documents for NRIs include:
- Salary slips for salaried individuals
- Income tax return forms, assessment orders or computation of income for self-employed individuals
- Bank statement from an Indian bank establishing the source of funds
- Audited company or firm accounts for self-employed individuals and a partnership deed
- Chartered Accountant’s certificate issued within the preceding three years for self-employed individuals
- Rent receipts issued within the previous three months and a valid agreement
- Statement from a foreign or Indian bank with non-cash credits for the previous six months and an English translation in case the statement is not in English
Why Should NRIs Purchase Term Plans?
Term plans provide NRIs with multiple benefits, including:
Term policies provide family members with financial stability when they need it most.
NRIs can pick from a wide range of sum assured options and select riders to enhance their coverage based on their needs.
NRIs can choose how their nominee will receive the sum assured payout. They can opt for a lump-sum payout or monthly or annual instalments based on their family’s financial situation.
A term insurance policy provides NRIs with life coverage, offering financial stability and security to their loved ones. NRIs should take the time to find the best term plan based on their unique needs. A term plan helps people deal with life’s unpredictability without having to worry about the impact it could have on their family’s finances.
Related Articles :
- Term Insurance for NRI in India - Details & Documents Required
- Features and Benefits of Term Insurance for NRIs in India
- Insurance for NRIs - what to choose
- What is Term Insurance? Definition & Meaning
ARN - ED/08/22/28532
Subscribe to get the latest articles directly in your inbox
Life & Term Articles
New Union Budget Highlights 2022-2023
February 05, 2022
Term Insurance Tax Benefits Under Section 80C & 80D
May 25, 2023
Term Insurance Guide
August 16, 2022
Here's all you should know about life insurance.
We help you to make informed insurance decisions for a lifetime.
- Best Investment Plans
- What is Term Insurance
- 1 Crore Term Insurance
- Short term saving plan
- Term insurance
- Saving plans
- ULIP Plan
- Health Plans
- Child Insurance Plans
- Group Insurance Plans
- Long Term Savings Plan
- Fixed Maturity Plan
- Monthly Income Advantage Plan
- Pension Calculator
- BMI Calculator
- Compound Interest Calculator
- Term insurance Calculator
- Tax Savings Investment Options
- 2 crore term insurance
- 50 lakhs term insurance
- annuity plans
- Investment Calculator
- get pension of 30000 per month
- ULIP Returns in 5 Years
- investment plan for 5 years
- investment plan for 10 years
- 50-Lakh Investment Plan
- guaranteed returns plans
- sanchay plans
- Pension plans