Simple Guide to Calculate Income Tax for Salaried Individuals
Income tax slab rate applicable for the fiscal year 2020-21 are as mentioned under:
- Up to 2.5 lakhs - No tax
- Rs.2.5 lakhs to 5 lakhs - 5 per cent
- Rs.5 lakhs to 10 lakhs - 20 per cent
- Above Rs.10 lakhs - 30 per cent
You can invest under the Section 80C to a maximum of Rs.1,50,000. Or if you are in a higher tax bracket, you can save Rs.45,000 in tax. Alternately, investment in Provident Fund, Life Insurance Premium, Equity Linked Savings Scheme, Home Loan monthly installment, National Savings Certificate, Infrastructure Bond, Pension Funds, Tuition fees and Unit Linked Insurance Plan can be made. You must note that gross salary is the sum total of Basic pay + Dearness allowance + House Rent Allowance + transport allowance + special allowance + other allowance. The total taxable income is calculated after applicable deductions such as HRA, LTA etc are adjusted from the total income which comprises of gross salary and income from other sources. Then the income tax is calculated according to the slab under which the taxable income falls under +3% cess.
Once you have computed the tax payable, you need to note your tax liability. For this follow the mentioned steps:
- Your total income needs to be rounded off to the closest multiple of 10.
- Classify the total amount into four parts: long-term capital gains, short-term capital gains and the total amount that remains (that is ultimately rounded off).
- Add up the computed tax.
- Whatever the balance is, levy the surcharges.
- Add education, secondary and higher education cess to the total calculated tax (including surcharges).
- Check the rebates that are allowed after surcharges are added.
- The remaining balance will be your total payable tax which is then rounded off to the closest multiple of 10.
HDFC Life offers Save Tax Calculator, an online tool for calculating the amount of tax payable by you by taking into consideration various parameters like income, investments, gender, age etc. For checking, click on the mentioned link and follow the steps listed: Income Tax Calculator
- Income Tax Return - What do you need to know?
- Income Tax Slabs in India - FY 2019-20/AY 2020-21
- Benefits of E-Filing Your Tax Returns
- Latest Income Tax Slab Rates for FY 2018-19
- New Income Tax Slabs & Rates in India for FY 2020-21/AY 2021-22
- 5 Reasons Why You Should File Income Tax Returns
- How to save income tax this year with HDFC Life plans
Income Tax Slab 2021-22
February 17, 2020
Income Tax Return Guide - Details You Should Know
November 07, 2016
Best Tax Saving Investment Options in 2022 (FY 2022-2023)
November 08, 2016
Subscribe to get the latest articles directly in your inbox
14 Best Investment Options In India
October 30, 2018
Short Term Investments: Top 11 Short Term Investment Options For 2022
November 08, 2016
Insurance vs Investment - Did You Get the Right Financial Plan?
November 05, 2018
Popular & Recent Articles
How to Plan for Retirement as Per your Age
"The thumb rule for retirement planning is - the earlier you start, the more you save. However, with age, your priorities change too. So, you need to factor in the cost of living in the present vis- a -vis future."
HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited. CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101.
Registered Office: Lodha Excelus, 13th Floor, Apollo Mills Compound, N.M. Joshi Marg, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai 400 011. Email: [email protected], Tel No: 1800-266-9777 (10 am to 7 pm). The name/letters “HDFC” in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited (“HDFC Limited”) and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited.
For more details on risk factors, associated terms and conditions and exclusions please read sales brochure carefully before concluding a sale.
|BEWARE OF SPURIOUS PHONE CALLS AND FICTIOUS/FRAUDULENT OFFERS
- term insurance plan
- savings plan
- ulip plan
- retirement plans
- health plans
- child insurance plans
- group insurance plans
- long term savings plan
- fixed maturity plan
- monthly income advantage plan
- income tax calculator
- pension calculator
- bmi calculator
- compound interest calculator
- term insurance calculator
- income tax
- tax saving investment options
- best investment plans
- benefits of term insurance calculator
- what is term insurance
- why to invest in life insurance
- tax planning for salaried employees
- how to choose best child insurance plan
- tips for buying retirement plan
- 1 crore term insurance
- importance of saving
- short term saving plans
- types of investment in india
- investment declaration