Retirement Planning Tips for Late Starters
13th November 2018
Everybody needs to have a nest egg to make their retired life comfortable. When you stop earning, you still have expenses and a lifestyle you want to maintain. It’s beneficial to start planning for retirement as early as possible so that you have enough during your second innings. But sometimes, people get delayed in planning for retirement and start planning it very late in life. Although planning for retirement in the early stages of your working life is sensible, however honestly it’s never too late to start.
Below are a few tips to help you to select best retirement plan in India:
- Estimate your need: It’s important to find out how much you will need during retirement. Most people don’t have an idea about their financial needs and end up either over planning or under planning. Knowing what your target number is makes it easier to figure out how much you need to be saving in order to reach your goal.
- Understand your saving options: There are a lot of ways to fund your retirement. You can contribute in a PPF and Pf through your Company. This will ensure you have another source of saving. If you’re not eligible to participate in plan through your company, you can always chip in money to a traditional or Roth IRA. Traditional IRAs offer tax-deductible contributions while a Roth IRA gives you a tax break when it’s time to start making withdrawals.
- Cost cutting: The closer you are to retirement the more important it is to start getting your finances into order. Minimizing your expenses will free up additional cash that you can put away in savings and it can give you some breathing room if you’re expecting your income to drop once you retire. While you may not need to do something as drastic as sell your home, getting rid of high interest debt and looking for ways to save on your everyday bills can make a big difference in how long your retirement savings will last.
- Invest in SIP and ULIPs: Both SIP and ULIP were on the magic of compounding. Your savings grow twice as much instead of growing in a linear manner. When you are planning your retirement options late, it makes sense in investing in them instead of only a traditional saving account or an FD.
It’s better late than never to plan for your retirement. Even if you have started late, it’s quite possible to utilize that time and create a comfortable savings cushion for your retirement.
HDFC Life offers you various retirement plans to help you save for your future. For more information, visit www.hdfclife.com
Products offered by HDFC Life :
Subscribe to get the latest articles directly in your inbox
You will receive the newly posted articles on your email id.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU
Stay updated with HDFC Life
Get HDFC Life updates in your mailbox
- Do Not Call Registration
- Terms & Conditions
- Terminated Agent List
- IRDAI Public Notice on Spurious Calls
- Unclaimed Policy Details
- Insurance Ombudsman
- IRDAI Customer Education Website
- Life Insurance Council
- Memories for Life
- NRI Insurance Plans
- Premium Payment
- NAV Summary
- Online Buying
- Tools & Calculators
- Public Disclosures
- Policy Loans General T&C
- FC Appointment T&C
- POSP Appointment T&C
- UW philosophy PWD/PMI/PLHA